Law and reading have always gone hand in hand. With the amount of words flying around in your day-to-day job, it’s sometimes easy to forget that legal reading doesn’t only have to be for work.
If you’re at a loss when it comes to picking out your next reading material, we’re here to help. The following are just some of the most popular reads for lawyers right now. Books also make great gifts, so if you’re shopping for that special attorney in your life, take note of these great books for lawyers.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. Few fictional lawyers are more famous than Atticus Finch. Widely recognized as one of the greatest novels ever written, Harper Lee’s classic is a must-read (or re-read) for any lawyer.
- A Civil Action. Based on a true story of a mass tort case against two giant corporations, Jonathan Harr’s legal thriller is popular with lawyers and non-lawyers alike. If you’re really short on time, you can always opt for the movie version.
- One L. This Scott Turow classic outlines the true trials and tribulations of a highly competitive first year at Harvard Law School. The topic may be a bit too fresh for current students, but lawyers with some distance between themselves and law school will enjoy the read.
Books for Practical Practice
- How to Argue & Win Every Time: At Home, At Work, In Court, Everywhere, Everyday. While it may not be the newest book on this list, Gerry Spence’s classic work on the art of the argument is an old standby for any lawyer looking to hone or refresh their argument skills.
- The Small Firm Roadmap: A Survival Guide to the Future of Your Law Practice. Running a small or solo firm has its own special challenges. This helpful book by Aaron Street, Sam Glover, Stephanie Everett, and Marshall Lichty will give you insights and tips on how to build a more efficient and effective small law practice.
For Newer Lawyers
It’s no secret that junior lawyers can struggle with adapting to the demands of their new profession. If you find yourself in that boat, you’re in good company, and this trio of books will help put you on the right path.
- The Story of My Life. This autobiography of Clarence Darrow, one of the most famous lawyers of the 20th Century, is an inspiring tale for lawyers who are looking for a way to make a difference in the world.
- Without Precedent: Chief Justice John Marshall and His Times. With the Supreme Court in the spotlight these days, it’s enlightening to take a dive into the history of our longest-serving Chief Justice and his lasting impact.
- The Unstoppable Ruth Bader Ginsburg: American Icon. Released for the 25th Anniversary of the famous jurist and pop culture icon’s appointment to the Supreme Court, this beautiful book offers both a stunning photo retrospective and a collection of inspiring quotes and speeches.
Whether you’re shopping for yourself or the lawyer in your life, this legal reading list should have you covered. From entertaining to practical, these popular reads for lawyers will provide a welcome break from the demands of the job.